Let me set the Scene: I had no idea what I was going to cook. I needed dinner ready, like “Now“. All I knew is that I was going to make chicken drumsticks because that’s the first thing to decide…what meat to use.
The chicken drumsticks were the quickest meat in my freezer that I could defrost. That’s where it all begins…
Then, seeing that I was missing a lot of my “typical” ingredients, those quick go-tos you use when in doubt, I saw I had tomatoes a neighbour had given me from their garden that needed to be used. I had rice and thought to myself that I could make a curry, since I hadn’t made that in quite some time here.
Voila…the idea emerges!
Type: Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: ~ 1 hr total
Yield: Serves 4
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below.
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 heaping tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp peanut oil + 2 tbsp
- 1 heaping tbsp curry paste
- 4 tomatoes – diced
- 1/2 carrot – peeled
- 1 cup peas – You can use frozen.
- 2 cups potato – peeled, 1″ diced
- 6 mushrooms – sliced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 5 cardamom pods + 3 pods
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
- sea salt – to taste
- 1 cup lukewarm tea or water + 3 cups
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice
- Pre-heat 2 large frying pans on medium heat on the stove top. In one frying pan, add 2 tbsp peanut oil; in the other frying pan, add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp peanut oil.
- In the 1st frying pan, add 8 chicken drumsticks seasoned lightly with salt and pepper, and pan fry on medium heat until golden brown.
- In the 2nd frying pan, on medium-low heat, make a roux with the butter-peanut oil combination and 2 heaping tbsp all purpose flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste changes color to a medium blonde color, approximately 5 minutes, in order to cook flour taste out.
- Add 1 tbsp red curry paste, with the “heat” or spicy nature of your choice and mix until distributed evenly.
- A few tbsp at a time at first, add coconut milk and mix thoroughly until evenly distributed and “soaked up” by roux. Then, continue adding liquid, each time ensuring you mix thoroughly until roux is of even consistency until all liquid is added to the pan, including the lukewarm tea or water.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, peeled carrot, (Peel outer skin off of carrot & discard. Then, continue using your peeler, peeling 1/2 carrot into mixture.), Sriracha sauce, bay leaf, 5 cardamom pods, cumin, turmeric, paprika, honey and season to taste.
- Thin out sauce if it looks too thick still; if the sauce looks too thin, don’t cover the pan to allow the sauce to reduce. Use lukewarm tea or water if it’s necessary to thin out the sauce.
- Add browned chicken into sauce and begin to simmer on medium-low heat covered on the stove top for about 5-10 mins.
- When you add the browned chicken to the frying pan, start a medium sized sauce pot on the stove on high heat with about 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tbsp butter to boil. Once it boils, add Jasmine rice (Asian rice), stir, and reduce temperature to lowest heat on the burner. Cover with a lid and set timer for 10 minutes to cook rice. Stir occasionally.
- Add 1″ diced potatoes and continue to simmer for an additional 10 mins.
- Add peas and continue to simmer and additional 5 mins, after you taste test your creation. Be sure it’s seasoned well with salt & pepper.
- Serve drumsticks with tomato curry over rice.
This was so delicious. It’s all gone…demolished. A definite re-do is necessary! Enjoy.
* Note: Time is “guess-timated”.
I hope you enjoy this How to Cook Video on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- How to Cook Asian Chicken Stew with Rice
- How to Cook Stewed Tomatoes: National Tomato Month
- How to Cook Green Beans with Buerre Brun Sauce on the Stove
- How to Cook Smoked Paprika Mushroom Rice
- How to Cook Brown Rice Spaghetti with Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatoes, Bacon & Basil