This recipe for How to Cook Chicken a la King, is a very tasty dish, and even more so if the cooked chicken is grilled or roasted, which kicks up the flavor.
This year, for Mother’s Day, Kimberly wanted to know what I wanted to eat for our festivities, which I thought was nice…
So, this was one of the dishes I’ve been thinking about lately, and figured it would serve us fine for such an occasion.
How to Cook Chicken a la King:
A hearty dish that not only Moms will love, but Dads too!
Type: Entrée Recipes
Prep Time: 18 – 20 min
Cook Time: 18 – 20 min
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
- 3 cups cooked chicken – cubed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups mushrooms – quartered
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half & half or milk
- 1/2 cup pimentos – diced
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp parsley – chopped
- 1 tsp chives – minced
- 1/4 cup sherry or white wine – optional
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- In a large sauce pan, on medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in the mushrooms and saute until softened – around 5 min.
- Add in flour, whisking until it is thoroughly blended.
- Gradually add three quarters of the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and keep whisking until mixture is well blended and smooth – around 5 min.
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks with the other quarter of chicken broth and heavy cream.
- Into the bowl of egg mixture, whisk in 3 cups of the hot mixture to temper it. Then, slowly stir egg mixture into hot mixture in the sauce pan, whisking constantly.
- Add in the chicken, pimento, chives, cayenne & pepper.
- Stir in wine or sherry, if desired, and return mixture to heat and simmer gently, stirring constantly. * Tip: Do not boil mixture.
- Just before serving, sprinkle parsley over the top of the a la king.
This is a rich, delicious meal and every one should have this recipe for How to Cook Chicken a la King on hand.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Chicken Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Kampot Pepper Apricot Brandy Sauce + Video
- How to Cook Seafood Bisque on this National Food Holiday
- How to Cook Lobster Whiskey Cream Stew: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Vegetable Rice Stuffing for Poultry + Video
- How to Cook Mushroom Wine Sauce