This Cardamom Roasted Whole Chicken will completely hit the spot, if you’re looking for something hearty & delicious.
If you’re in university, you can get some real bang for your buck, so to speak, because you’ll have leftovers from a whole chicken. Also, it’s less expensive per pound to purchase chicken that hasn’t been butchered, i.e. whole chicken.
It’s super fast to get into the oven, and then you set it, and forget that bird for about 45 min, leaving you time to get other things accomplished around the household.
Hearty with a comforting aroma that wafts through & out of your home, neighbors will have hunger pangs when they smell this roasted poultry you’ll be eating for dinner!
How to Roast Cardamom Whole Chicken:
Cardamom is a great flavor that can stand on its own with a few enhancements of basic salt & pepper, and maybe some spicy chili to take it to another level.
I roast my chickens breast side down to keep them moist.
* Tip: When cooking with chicken, be sure to wash and disinfect all surfaces, including your hands, that have touched the raw chicken.
Type: Main Dish Recipe
Serve with: rice stuffing
Prep Time: 10 min
Roast Time: ~ 1 hr
Serves: 3-4 dinner portions
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of “Cooking like Alpha Beta Pie with Kimberly“:
- 1 whole chicken – trussed or not
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt – I used Drogheria Persian Blue Salt Grinder
- pepper – I used Drogheria Organic Black Pepper Grinder
- 1/2 tsp paprika – mostly, for color
- 5 – 6 cardamom pods – finely ground
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease or spray a baking dish large enough to roast a whole chicken.
- Coat outside of bird with olive oil with your hands or with a basting brush.
- Season inside cavity & outside of the bird with salt & pepper.
- Grind up cardamom pods in a spice grinder/coffee grinder or by hand with a mortar & pestle, and reserve the ground spice, and discard the shells that don’t grind up.
- Sprinkle chicken with freshly ground cardamom & paprika for color on the outside, and sprinkle in the inside cavity.
- Stuff bird, if desired, with a bread stuffing or rice stuffing.
- Roast in oven on 425 degrees F for 7 – 12 min or until it has started to brown nicely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Cover with a poultry triangle, which is loosely fitting aluminum foil, which has been sprayed on the side that will touch the chicken. * Tip: Using the poultry triangle, you will be able to roast the bird without drying out & burning the skin.
- Return back to oven on 350 degrees F for an additional 45 min, or until the chicken is golden brown, and its juices are running clear at the joints of the bird. * Tip: Use a meat thermometer for ease of determining doneness.
- Let it rest for 5 min with the poultry tent you made earlier on top.
Serve with stuffing and some hearty side dishes.
Looking for a great stuffing recipe? Try out this Vegetable Rice Stuffing for Poultry:
I know your family will enjoy this Cardamom Roasted Whole Chicken with a bit of a different, exotic flavor that’s not overpowering.
I hope you enjoy this Chicken Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Pear Vinaigrette Roasted Whole Chicken + Video
- How to Roast Smoked Paprika Whole Chicken + Video
- How to Roast a Whole Chicken + Video
- How to Roast a Pheasant: National Roast Pheasant Day
- How to Prepare a Turkey for Roasting + Video