This recipe for Brussel Sprouts & Chestnuts is such a lovely addition to a Fall or Winter table.
Christmas & chestnuts just seem to go together, and this dish certainly is festive. It’s so pretty with the whole sprouts, chestnuts & pearl onions, all round & beautiful.
How to Cook Brussel Sprouts & Chestnuts:
If fresh chestnuts aren’t available, use vacuum-packed ones. The canned ones won’t really enhance this dish.
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Serve with: butter
Prep Time: 15 – 20 min
Cook Time: 30 – 35 min
Yields: 6 – 8 servings
- 2 tbsp butter – melted
- 10 – 15 pearl onions – peeled
- 1 lb chestnuts – peeled
- 1 1/4 lbs Brussel sprouts – cleaned & trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley and/or thyme
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- In a large sauté pan on medium heat, melt butter. * Tip: Bacon drippings are okay to use too.
- Add small pearl onions & chestnuts.
- Tilt pan back & forth to make sure onions & chestnuts are all covered with the fat & slowly cook until all are browned on all sides. This will take 10 – 15 min. * Tip: Do not burn or char.
- Add Brussel sprouts, chicken broth, bay leaf, parsley or thyme, cayenne pepper, sherry, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium. Then, cover & simmer until sprouts are tender – 15 min or thereabouts.
- Remove bay leaf, parsley & thyme before serving.
- Transfer to a serving dish & gently stir in heavy cream.
What a festive side dish these Brussel Sprouts & Chestnuts are paired with a hearty entrée.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Brussel Sprout Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Potato & Apple: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Irish Stew: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- A National Gumbo Day Recipe: Ooh Wee!
- How to Cook Lobster Whiskey Cream Stew: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook It: National Chicken Cacciatore Day