If you’re squeamish, just buy your fish already fileted…no one will think any less of you.
These particular mackerel came from the Gulf of St. Lawrence in Canada.
* The video below may not be appropriate for all people. If you are not comfortable with blood and guts, look away or check out another one of my recipes! LOL
The instructions are listed below the video for directions. Please enjoy the video below.
- whole mackerel fish
- 1/2 lemon
- Rinse fish under cold water.
- Using a very sharp fileting knife, make an incision in the underside of the belly of the fish from the gill base through to close to the tail.
- Spread fish open and remove all innards that does not resemble the meat in the filet. Use a spoon to scrape out anything you cannot seem to grab with your fingers. * Be sure to remove the kidney/blood line near the spine closer starting closer to the head. Simply use your filet knife to scrape it away from the spine.
- Rinse fish under cold water to clean off.
- If desired, in a baking dish filled with water, squeeze juice of 1/2 lemon and add shell/peel of lemon into the dish and soak fish before cooking, if you did not catch it fresh.
- Clean the entire preparation area with disinfectant or hot water with soap.
- Cook fish as desired.
Be sure to check out my How to Cook Fish category too!
I hope you enjoyed this How to Cook Video on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- How to Grill a Whole Mackerel – Lemon Cedar Leaf Grilled Mackerel
- How to Cook Caribbean Style Rainbow Trout Recipe
- ‘Cooking Adventures with Kimberly’ Featured in Tonka Live Magazine
- How to Soak Beans Overnight to Boil
- How to Cook Pan Sauteed Wasabi Crusted Salmon