This recipe for How to Braise Haskapa Malbec Bratwurst is one you will want to adapt to use with other sausages & meats to bring out and enhance all their great flavors.
Braised Haskapa Malbec Bratwurst:
I am using the fantastic Haskapa Chutney from Nova Scotia, which uses haskap berries, which they grow. The haskap bush is indigenous to Russia, but is now grown in most of the Canadian provinces. The haskap berry is oval, about an inch long and deep purplish-blue, like a blueberry, with sweet, crimson flesh.
The Haskapa Chutney is made with haskap berries, garlic & ginger, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, red onion, lemon juice and red chili flakes, and has a taste that is both sweet & savory with a kick of spice perfect for flavoring sausages as well as other meats. Check out Haskapa online:
The Rancourt Winery 2012 Malbec red wine is a single varietal, un-oaked wine, which I am using, is very delicious and combines well with the chutney to make an excellent braising liquid. Find Rancourt Winery products online:
Type: Entrée Recipe
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: about 40 min + 5 min under broiler
Yield: 3 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 3 bratwurst sausages
- 4 – 5 heaping tsp haskap chutney – I used Haskapa Chutney.
- 2 tbsp red wine – I used Rancourt Winery 2012 Malbec.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- splash olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare the braising liquid, combine Haskapa Chutney and wine. Add in bay leaf, mustard seeds and olive oil. Mix together well.
- Pour braising liquid into a greased baking dish.
- Place bratwurst into braising liquid, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Wrap and braise in 350 degree F oven for about 20 min.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees F, turn the sausages over, re-cover with foil wrap, and braise for another 20 min.
- Remove foil, turn oven to broil on high heat and broil for about 5 min.
- Tip: Stay close and keep an eye on the meat, so it does not burn.
- Remove sausages from oven and serve on buns.
I hope you try this recipe for How to Braise Haskapa Malbec Bratwurst, and serve this uniquely prepared meal to your family with pride.
- How to Make Jalapeño Haskap Malbec Glaze for Poultry + Video
- How to Grill Jalapeño Haskap Chicken + Video
- How to Braise Napa Valley Bordeaux Cherry Balsamic Pork Breast Bones + Video
- Web Chef Review: Haskapa Chutney
- How to Make Haskapa BBQ Glaze for Meats + Video