A hearty meal done on the BBQ is this Pepper Crusted Eye of Round Beef Roast!
A fabulous crust is made with this pepper rub, and you’ll be excited to eat a succulent roast of beef just underneath it.
Pepper Crusted Eye of Round Beef Roast on the BBQ:
Seared on the outside with a pepper crust, moist and juicy on the inside. This is a roast that will satisfy that meat craving!
Type: Main Dish Recipe
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking Adventures with Kimberly:
- 2.2 – 2.5 kg eye of round beef roast
- ~ 1 tbsp peppercorns – freshly ground
- 1 piri piri chili – I used Epicureal Piri Piri Chilies
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika powder – I used La Chinata Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Ancho chili powder – I used Royal Command Ancho Chili Powder
- flavored charcoal pellets – optional; if desired
- Freshly grind peppercorns & piri piri chili with a mortar & pestle or in a coffee grinder.
- If desired, diagonally slice into the one side with the layer of fat, not quite cutting through the fat, in parallel lines.
- Combine spices – pepper, piri piri chili, smoked paprika, Ancho chili – in a large, flat bottomed bowl or baking dish where you can coat the roast easily.
- Coat the roast with the spices all over and rub it in slightly to really get that flavor going.
- Preheat grill to high. Prepare charcoal packet with doubled up aluminum foil, making a sealed package, poked with a knife a number of times on the top. Place it underneath the grate you will be using to grill the meat very carefully. * Tip: Be sure to spray the grates with non-stick spray or grease with olive oil.
- Brown meat on all sides about 3 – 4 min per side to get a great crust on it, turning it halfway through on each side to get nice grill marks. * Tip: Be sure the grill doesn’t flame up excessively. * Tip: Replace packets of charcoal as necessary.
- Turn off a burner, and place the roast on that grill, leaving the other burners on. Roast on the grill with the lid shut, trying to maintain a temperature of 300 degrees inside the grill. For a 2 lb roast, it should take about 1 1/2 hrs on the grill, checking often. * Tip: Keep your eye on the BBQ thermometer. If necessary, turn a 2nd burner off, to lower the temperature.
- Once roast is done, remove and cover loosely with a foil tent to allow meat to rest for 5 – 10 min.
- Slice thickly or thinly and serve hot. * Tip: The more rare pieces are near the center, and the more well done pieces are nearer the ends.
Enjoy with some equally hearty side dishes, and maybe a salad too!
I hope you enjoy this Beef Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Brisket-Style Pork Loin Roast + Video: Tailgating Central
- How to Make Beef Burritos: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Make a Dry Spice Rub for Meat + Video
- How to Grill Haskapa Smoked Paprika Pork Riblets + Video
- How to Make a Dry Rub for Pork Loin + Video