Doesn’t Wild Asparagus & Sausage Pizza with Roberto’s Gluten-Free Crust sound, well, amazing?!
This is a recipe for a real specialty pizza using Roberto’s Pizza Passion‘s gluten-free frozen crust, and once again, some unusual and delicious ingredients to keep your pizza experience varied and interesting.
Roberto’s provided me with some fantastic frozen gluten-free pizza crusts, and their own special pizza sauce to enhance the flavors of my own homemade pizza. These gluten-free crusts come in their own sealed baking trays.
- Note: They can be purchased at Roberto’s Pizza Passion at 22 Facer St., St. Catharines, ON, or they can be delivered along with a pizza order – 905-938-5525.
Roberto was kind enough to bring me some lovely wild asparagus plant stalks, and I will be using these delicious fronds on my pizza today, as well as some of their specially blended sausage from Pingue Prosciutto – aka Niagara Food Specialties – from St. Catharines, ON as well, and which they use in the pizzeria.
All in all, a gorgeous combination with the addition of crimini mushrooms, and topped with block mozzarella cheese to finish this delectable pizza creation.
Wild Asparagus & Sausage Pizza with Roberto’s Gluten-Free Crust:
- Note: The gluten-free pizza crust from Roberto’s Pizza Passion is to be used immediately from the freezer, topped & baked quickly. I find this yields my best results.
Type: Pizza Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Bake Time: 10 – 14 min
Yield: 8 slice pizza
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 1 frozen gluten-free pizza crust – I used Roberto’s Pizza Passion Gluten-Free Pizza Crust.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella – grated
- 3/4 – 1 cup pizza sauce – I used Roberto’s Pizza Passion Pizza Sauce.
- 1 1/4 cups sausage – I used a sausage blend from Pingue Prosciutto – aka Niagara Food Specialties.
- handful wild asparagus fronds – washed; larger stemmed fronds can be chopped & sauteed in olive oil
- 3 crimini mushrooms – sliced & sauteed in olive oil; seasoned with salt & pepper
- red chili flakes – to taste
- Wash the asparagus and trim off enough fronds to scatter over your pizza. * Note: I use the smaller, skinnier fronds straight on my pizza, while fatter stemmed fronds are chopped & sauteed with the mushrooms prior to scattering on the pizza.
- Brown the sausage and break it up a bit with a spatula. * Notes: The sausage can be made into little meatballs if you wish, but I like them broken up like ground meat, and strewn on the pizza. Although this sausage is cured, it doesn’t necessarily need to be cooked, but I like to bring out more flavor by sauteing.
- Gently saute the fresh mushrooms in olive oil, as well as the larger chopped fronds of wild asparagus with a few chili flakes, to soften them up a bit and keep them from drying out when baked on the pizza.
- Preheat your oven to 550 degrees F.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of the frozen crust and on the baking tray.
- Spread pizza sauce over the crust & brush to the edges, if desired.
- Place a light layer of mozzarella over the pizza, followed with a layer of asparagus fronds, sausage, mushrooms, and top with another layer of cheese.
- Bake for 10 – 14 min, and check it out at the 10 min mark. Bake until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling.
- Slice with a mezzaluna, pizza cutter or knife, and Serve.
This pizza has such a nice, crispy crust, the asparagus is so different and delicious, the mushrooms are tasty and the sauce is fabulous.
Location of Roberto’s Pizza Passion:
- 22 Facer St., St.Catharines, Ontario
- phone: 905-938-5525
- website: RobertosPizzaPassion.com
Do try this recipe for Wild Asparagus & Sausage Pizza with Roberto’s Gluten-Free Crust and enjoy eating pizza just like a pizzeria pizza, using your favorite ingredients.
- Web Chef Review: Roberto’s Pizza Passion Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
- How to Bake Salami, Zucchini & Tomato Pizza with Roberto’s Gluten-Free Crust + Video
- How to Bake Meatball, Broccoli & Enoki Mushroom Pizza with Roberto’s Gluten-Free Crust + Video
- Web Chef Review: Roberto’s Pizza Passion Hand-Tossed Deluxe Pizza
- How to Make a Harvest Barn Specialty Pizza + Video