This recipe for How to Bake Rhubarb Galettes will absolutely knock your socks off and tantalize those taste buds.
Galettes are so tasty, very easy and relatively quick to prepare, and they are so pretty that they make a beautiful presentation at any dessert table.
Rhubarb is in season in the Spring, and it’s a good time to harvest rhubarb for freezing and preparing your favorite rhubarb dishes.
How to Bake Rhubarb Galettes:
To prepare rhubarb, you need to remove and discard the leaves, cut a small portion off of the root end, then rinse it well, and finely chop.
Type: Dessert Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 25 to 30 min
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 unbaked prepared pie crust or pastry for the bottom crust – rolled out to 11 inches in diameter
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam or rhubarb jam
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries – sliced in half or quarters
- 1 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb – chopped
- 1 apple – washed, peeled & sliced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam – mixed with 1 tsp water and 1 tsp melted butter
- Have on-hand a prepared bottom crust using a pie dough or pastry dough, rolled out to to 11 or 12 inch diameter, 1/4 inch thick.
- Press the dough into an 11 or 12 inch round.
- Lift onto a baking sheet and leave a 1 inch border at the edge.
- Create a little rim around the edges to hold all the ingredients and juices within the galette area.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place 11 inch circle of dough on to a baking sheet.
- Spread jam evenly over surface of dough, leaving a 1 inch border around edge.
- Fold border over to form a rim. This doesn’t have to be perfect, in fact it is much nicer for the rim to look a bit rustic.
- In a bowl, gently combine rhubarb, strawberries, apple, sugar, flour and corn starch. It is best to give it a little taste at this point to be sure the mixture is sweet enough for your preference. If not, add more sugar.
- Distribute the fruit mixture evenly over the jam. Drizzle the jam and water mixture – 2 tbsp jam with 1 tsp water & 1 tsp melted butter – over top of the fruit. * Tip: Drizzle only 1/2 of the mixture over the fruit depending on how much juice is already rendered by the fruit.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and juices have thickened – about 25 – 30 min.
- Note: The galette is best served brown.
This rhubarb galette always makes me think of beautiful Spring and early Summer days, and serving it outdoors is positively a dream.
- How to Bake Mom’s Rhubarb Pie
- How to Bake Mom’s Classic Pie Crust
- How to Bake Napa Valley Strawberry Balsamic Rhubarb Pie + Video
- How to Bake Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Bread
- How to Bake Acorn Squash with Apples & Pears: National Acorn Squash Day