National Indian Pudding Day is upon us, and if you’ve never had this delicious, native American dessert, it’s something special.
Indian pudding is a baked dessert wit the baking dish sitting in water, keeping the pudding from drying out & losing its silky texture.
How to Bake Indian Pudding:
This recipe is definitely a keeper. It’s delicious in the Fall or the Winter with these soul comforting spices.
Type: Dessert Recipe
Serve with: ice cream, if desired
Prep Time: 14 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
Serves: 8 – 10
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp cubed butter + enough to coat baking dish
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon – I used Epicureal Saigon Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- dash salt
- dash ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare a heavy baking dish (2 – 3 quart) by generously buttering it.
- Into a large sauce pan, measure cornmeal.
- Slowly add in & stir whole milk. Stir constantly and bring to a boil on medium high heat, and turn down to low heat on a simmer.
- Stir often until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in sugar, brown sugar, molasses, eggs, butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla extract, salt, cloves.
- Pour pudding into prepared dish, placed in water bath – about 1 inch hot water.
- Bake at 325 degrees F until the center looks firm, but quivers a bit when the dish is nudged – about 1 hr and 5 – 15 min. * Tip: The top will have a dark golden crust.
This lovely dessert can be served warm or cold with ice cream or whipped cream.
Now, you can flaunt your very own homemade pudding for National Indian Pudding Day.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Food Holiday on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Bake Bread Pudding
- How to Bake Sweet Potato Chai Bread Pudding
- How to Cook Brandy Cardamom Pumpkin Custard
- National Butterscotch Pudding Day a Hit with Creamy Recipe
- How to Make Great Applesauce: It’s National Apple Month