Raisin Bread Month is here in the month of November, and now you’re thinking to yourself when on Earth the last time you baked a loaf of Raisin Bread at home was.
It may have been a while, if I’m guessing correctly.
Sultanas are paler & more acidic, and are nice eaten fresh.
Dried currants are very small, dried raisins from Zante & black Corinth grapes.
How to Bake Raisin Bread:
My recipe for raisin bread follows and yields one nice, large loaf.
Type: Bread Recipe
Serve With: softened butter
Prep Time: ~ 8 min
Rise Time: 1 1/2 hrs
Bake Time: 40 – 50 min
Yield: 1 large loaf
- 4 tbsp warm water
- 3 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cups scalded milk (cooled) or warm water
- 3 1/2 tbsp + 1/3 cup sugar
- 7 tbsp + 3 tsp butter – melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
- 3/4 – 1 3/4 cups raisins
- 1 tbsp cinnamon – I used Epicureal Saigon Cinnamon
Review Show: Epicureal Saigon Cinnamon
- In a large bowl, allow yeast to bloom for about 10 min in warm water.
- Add in & mix by hand or with a mixer for about 1 1/2 min, scalded & cooled milk or warm water, 3 1/2 tbsp sugar, 7 tbsp melted butter, 2 eggs & salt.
- Slowly stir in all purpose or bread flour until sticky & moist.
- Knead dough for about 12 min or with dough hook on medium low speed until dough is elastic & smooth.
- Place in an oiled bowl and place plastic loosely over bowl. Allow to rise in a warm location until it doubles in bulk.
- While dough is rising, into a sauce pan, place raisins with enough water to cover them by 1/2 inch, and bring up to a boil. Turn off. Drain & allow to cool.
- Stir together 1/3 cup sugar & cinnamon in a bowl.
- Grease a large loaf pan.
- Punch down dough, and with a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 8 inches x 18 inches and about 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush with melted butter, spread raisins over dough, sprinkle with sugar & cinnamon mix over dough saving 3 tsp.
- Start at short side of dough to roll up the dough, pinching & tucking under the ends.
- Allow to rise in a warm location until it doubles in volume again.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush top of loaf with 1 beaten egg & a pinch of salt. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon & sugar mixture on top.
- Bake until loaf has a deep golden brown crust & bottom sounds hollow when tapped, checking while bread is still hot – about 40 – 50 min.
- Brush 3 tsp butter on top, so it melts.
More Bread & Raisin Recipes:
Cooking Shows: Bread Recipes + Reviews
Cooking Shows: Raisin Recipes + Reviews
Raisin Bread Month will be great now that I have my recipe wrangled up.
- Swedish National Cinnamon Roll Day: How to Bake Cinnamon Rolls
- How to Bake Cinnamon Sticky Buns: Mother’s Day Delights
- How to Bake Traditional White Bread + Video
- How to Bake White Bread: Homemade Bread Day
- How to Bake Grandma Kasper’s Paska Bread: Easter Surprises