Healthy School Lunches – Be Ready for Back to School
Instead of sending your child through the cafeteria line with a $10 bill each day for school, get into the trend of packing them a healthy lunch.
Keeping your kids healthy should be of paramount importance to you and here’s how you can improve their lunches…the easy way!
Think of food in 6 Groups:
1. Whole Grains – whole-grain sandwich bread or pita, pasta or brown rice are good examples.
2. Fruits – apples, melon, grapes, berries, fruit juice, 100% fruit spread will all work well.
3. Calcium – That’s your dairy foods like milk, yogurt, cheese, tofu, soy milk, but also dark leafy greens, beans and almonds or almond butter – even 100% orange juice.
4. Healthy Fats – like nuts and nut butters, avocado, salmon, flax seeds or oil, extra virgin olive oil
5. Protein – nuts, nut butter, seafood, beans like edamame, hard boiled eggs, fish, chicken, lean beef, turkey, seeds or cheeses.
6. Vegetables – tomatoes, broccoli, peas, spinach, 100% vegetable juice, lettuce, cabbage – whatever they’ll eat!
Now, choose something from each of those categories and include this in your child’s (or husband’s or your) lunch.
This will prove to be a fun, interesting, filling and healthy lunch that’s inexpensive because you made it at home!
That may seem like a lot of food – well, be mindful of your portion sizes – it doesn’t have to be a smorgasbord…
Also, another great tip is to be sure you include as much color as possible – the more colorful the food is, typically, the healthier it is for you.
For example, bright red peppers, dark green leafy lettuce or spinach, bright orange mango, pickled beets, or blueberries.
This is making me hungry already!
Have fun and even let your kids help you make their lunches or let them choose which food of each category they want.
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. For more awesome ideas for Bento Box Lunches, check out this wonderful book:
[tags]school lunches, back to school, bento box, bento box lunch, brown bagging, healthy school lunches, healthy lunch, healthy food[/tags]
- Fresh Ideas for Brown Bagging: National School Lunch Week
- Healthy Ideas for Packed Lunches this School Year
- Catch the Podcast of School Lunch Ideas with Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’
- School Lunches Do Not Have to Be a Challenge
- Back to School Lunch Ideas with Web Chef Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’