Sometimes, you just need or feel like a Healthy Garden Salad!
Healthy Garden Salad:
I served this healthy garden salad with Napa Jack’s Oven-Roasted BBQ Chicken Drumsticks & Oven-Roasted Corn-on-the-Cob. I also made a Napa Valley Blood Orange Buttermilk Salad Dressing on this salad, but feel free to use a dressing of your choice.
Cooking Shows for This Whole Meal
All of the vegetables used in this salad are Ontario grown and came from Harvest Barn Country Markets in Niagara-on-the-Lake, which is one of their two locations in Southern Ontario – the other location is St. Catharines.
Aside from the fact that their produce is invariably fresh, optimally ripe, and beautifully displayed, Harvest Barn Country Markets try, as much as possible to bring in their produce from within a 100 mile radius of their locations. Thus, the produce doesn’t have to travel exceedingly long distances to reach us. So, it is much less bruised and damaged in transport, making the quality much better when we get it home. There is far less, if any waste.
Cooking Show Series featuring Niagara Foods:
Playlist: Made in Niagara with Kimberly
Romaine is good for this salad, but if you prefer another type of lettuce that’s okay too.
Type: Salad Recipe
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 – 25 min
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
Cooking Show: How to Make a Healthy Garden Salad
- ~ 1/3 bunch romaine lettuce – washed & pat dry; I used the heart of the lettuce, but you can use any part you wish.
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 tomato – sliced into quarters
- 1/2 of a yellow zucchini – sliced into medallions
- 4 white mushrooms – sliced
- 1 medium-sized carrot – use peeler to shave off strips
- 1/4 cup mixed sprouts – I used Organic Sprouts For Life Nutty Sprout Mix.
- 1/4 cup feta cheese – I used Mediterranean Feta Cheese from Harvest Barn Country Markets.
- ~ 20 freshly cracked peppercorns
- sprinkle of chili flakes
Review Show: Ontario Tomatoes on the Vine at Harvest Barn Country Markets
Review Show: Ontario Mushrooms at Harvest Barn Country Markets
Review Show: Organic Sprouts for Life Nutty Sprout Mix
Review Show: Mediterranean Feta Cheese at Harvest Barn Country Markets
Have available a large shallow salad bowl.
- Tear romaine lettuce heart leaves torn into bite-sized pieces, and place into salad bowl.
- Thinly slice green pepper lengthwise, and add into bowl.
- Cut tomato quarters in half, and add to salad.
- Add zucchini slices, mushrooms, carrot strips, for a bit of crunch.
- Sprinkle feta cheese, chili flakes & freshly cracked peppercorns on top of salad.
- Lastly, sprinkle with sprout mix.
In my opinion, it is best to prepare your dressing, and allow each diner to dress their own salad at the table. That way, you don’t get dressing on all the vegetables in the main salad, and you are able to keep the leftovers refrigerated for the next day, without the salad wilting & getting soggy.
Check out our Salad Cooking Shows:
Playlist: Salad Recipes + Reviews
Check out our Salad Dressing Cooking Shows:
Playlist: Salad Dressing Recipes + Reviews
Do serve a nice big healthy garden salad often for your loved ones, and experiment with unusual or infrequently used ingredients, to keep it interesting.
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Lettuce at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Baby Kale at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- Web Chef Review: Organic Green Kale by Sprouts for Life
- Web Chef Review: Harvest Barn Super Food Salad
- How to Make Romaine Salad with Turkey Breast, Blue Potatoes & Chevre with Raspberry Vinaigrette + Video