June 26th is National Chocolate Pudding Day, and if you’ve never had the opportunity to try homemade chocolate pudding from scratch and you’ve only ever made it from a box, well, this will be a treat for you.
The creamy, chocolate deliciousness is almost too much to handle. So simple, it’s perfect!
Topped with homemade whipped cream and you’ll fall into chocolately love with this recipe!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks – large
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate – chopped or chipped
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract – Please use real vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter – room temperature
- * Optional – 2 tbsp Kahlua or creme de cacao liqueur
- In a large stainless steel bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup of the milk until thickened.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, whisking to blend thoroughly, then add Kahlua or creme de cacao. Set aside while you heat the milk and cream.
- Also set to the side a fine strainer with a bowl for straining pudding after being cooked.
- After rinsing a medium size heavy saucepan with cold water and shaking it out (prevents scorching), pour in the rest of the 2 cups of milk with the cream. Bring mixture barely to a boil and remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth.
- Move pudding to a large, heavy bottomed saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Cook while constantly stirring mixture until it thickens, for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Pour through the strainer to remove any clumps that may be present from cooking.
- Add the chopped chocolate, vanilla extract and butter, stirring lightly with a spatula until smooth.
- Pour into 6 to 8 serving bowls or parfait glasses.
- Top with Our Homemade Whipped Cream, if desired.
- Serve warm or chilled.
* Tip: If chilling pudding for a length of time, cover with plastic wrap by pressing it to touch the pudding top. This will prevent a skin from forming that some may not enjoy.
[tags]chocolate pudding, how to make chocolate pudding, National Chocolate Pudding Day, National food holidays, food holidays, chocolate dessert recipe[/tags]
- How to Make Banana Rum Pudding with Toasted Coconut
- Decadent National Caramel Custard Day Recipe
- National Butterscotch Pudding Day a Hit with Creamy Recipe
- Tempting Pudding Recipe for National Chocolate Day
- How to Cook Rosewater Tapioca Pudding