It’s Chicken Soup for the Soul Week!
My Mom’s chicken soup version had all of those qualities and always makes me feel happy & loved.
How to Cook Mother Kasper’s Chicken Soup:
The basic chicken soup I use follows my Mom’s soup as closely as I can remember.
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve with: freshly baked bread
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 4 1/2 – 5 1/2 hrs
Serves: 4 – 6 dinner portions
- 1 whole chicken 5-8 lbs
- water – enough to cover bird in pot
- 1 onion – unpeeled
- 2 large carrots – halved
- 2 celery ribs – halved
- 1 doz black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt – to taste
- ground pepper – to taste
- Using a 5 – 8 lb whole chicken, place bird in a large stock pot with enough water to cover it.
- Slowly bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer uncovered for about 35 min, skimming frequently.
- Add to the pot, onion, carrots, celery, peppercorns, cloves, parsley, bay leaf & thyme.
- Simmer with the pot lid askew for 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 hrs to get the most flavor from the ingredients. * Tip: If necessary, add water to make sure bird is covered at all times, and skim froth off frequently, if you see it accumulating at the top.
- Remove the bird and reserve the meat to add back in later, if desired.
- Strain & cool.
- Remove fat when you are ready to use soup stock. * Tip: Refrigerate covered and the fat will harden. * Tip: If you like, reheat your chicken stock in a pot and add sliced carrots, celery, onion, fresh parsley, even some minced garlic, if desired. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer until those hard vegetables are fork tender.
- Serve with noodles, rice or vegetables.
This is comfort food to me. Food for the soul.
Here’s a version my daughter, Kimberly, makes for us when we have sore throats & runny noses. Check it out for yourself – Chicken Broth for the Sore Throat:
Happy National Chicken Soup for the Soul Week!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Chicken Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Chicken Soup: National Chicken Soup for the Soul Day
- How to Cook Split Pea Soup: National Split Pea Soup Week
- How to Cook Easy Duck Stock
- How to Cook Very Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Mennonite Green Bean Soup