Filled with the colors red & white, in honour of the Canadian flag, our Victoria Day menu sparkles & shines, just like the fireworks that will fill the night sky.
What is Victoria Day?
Victoria Day is a Canadian statutory holiday celebrated on the Monday preceding May 25 in every province and territory. It honours Queen Victoria’s birthday. In Quebec, this holiday is called “National Patriotes Day” (Journée Nationale des Patriotes).
Victoria Day is also commonly referred to as the “May two-four weekend” or the “May long weekend” and it marks the unofficial start of summer & the cottage season. Outdoor pools often open on this weekend and BBQs and camping trips are the norm.
Even though she’s been dead for over a century, Canada has been celebrating Queen Victoria’s birthday for years. Wouldn’t it be cool if everyone could take a day off work or school on your birthday?
Queen Victoria was born on May 24th, but Canadians celebrate Victoria Day on the Monday before May 24. This year Victoria Day is May 18th, 2015.
Victoria Day became a popular holiday in Ontario (it was Canada West back then) in 1845 and a national holiday in 1901. During the 1900s, it used to be called Empire Day, and then it changed to Commonwealth Day. Now Canadians call it Victoria Day.
Web chef Kimberly Turner will share with you some inventive & delicious recipes for Victoria Day that will satisfy your Canadian side.
Tune in Friday @ 7:20 am ET:
- 610 CKTB in the Niagara Region on the radio
- Live Stream 610 CKTB online anywhere in the world
That all being said, catch the Victoria Day cooking segment with web chef Kimberly Turner on Tim Denis in the Morning – Newstalk 610 CKTB on Friday morning.
- Don’t Miss Victoria Day Recipes with Web Chef Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’
- Friday: Labor Day Menu Ideas from Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’
- Monday: Canada Day Menu Ideas from Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’
- Catch Kicked Up Christmas Ideas with Web Chef Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’
- Catch Homemade Halloween Treats with Web Chef Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’