This national food holiday is a mouthful – it’s National Submarine, Hero, Hoagy, Grinder Day today!
A submarine sandwich, hero, hoagy, poboy, zep, bomber & grinder are similar in that they represent wide, long rolls, which are filled with cheese, deli meats, toppings and dressing. Deli meats may vary.
For flavors to blend, sandwiches are compressed tightly in foil, and allowed to sit wrapped for about 1/2 hour, so they compress nicely.
How to Make an Authentic Assorted Submarine Sandwich:
Here are just some guidelines to help you make an authentic submarine sandwich. This type of sandwich is called an assorted sub, where we are located in Canada anyway.
Type: Sandwich Recipe
Serve with: kettle chips
Prep Time: 8 min
Sit Time: 30 min
- 1 French or Italian loaf bread – about 24″ long
- olive oil
- 3/4 lb Prosciutto, Mortadella & sliced Salami
- 8 oz Provolone cheese
- hot pickled peppers
- onion slices
- 1 1/2 cups lettuce – shredded
- sliced tomato
- salt – to taste
- pepper – to taste
- Slice loaf of bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread inside generously with olive oil mixed with vinegar to moisten bread.
- Place a layer of at least 3 or more meats and around 3/4 lb of prosciutto, mortadella & sliced salami.
- Stack on top about 8 oz provolone cheese sliced, sprinkled with hot pickled peppers, onion & tomato slices, and shredded lettuce.
- Season with salt & pepper to your taste.
- Place one half of bread on top of other half to sandwich filling.
- Wrap in foil tightly to compress and allow to absorb flavors for about half an hour.
- Cut into 4 sandwiches to serve.
Awesome served with kettle cooked potato chips. Yummy.
Have a Happy National Submarine, Hero, Hoagy, Grinder Day!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Make Club Sandwiches: National Sandwich Day
- 3 Unique Sandwich Ideas: National Kraut Sandwich Week
- Web Chef Review: Atlanta Bread Company – Atlanta, GA Airport
- How to Cook Grilled Cheese Chicken & Tomato Sandwiches
- National Cheeseburger Day is Ooey Gooey Good + 2 BBQ Recipes